The work of the HuMetricsHSS initiative has been featured or mentioned in a variety of venues. We are grateful for the attention the initiative has received, and our takeaway from this interest is that it indicates a strong desire for transformational change within the academy that we all recognize must happen collectively.
Entries are listed alphabetically by author(s), where known.
- Ellis, Lindsay. "As Scholars Are Driven to Less Prestigious Journals, New Measures of Quality Emerge." The Chronicle of Higher Education, February 17, 2019. [Translated as "A medida que los investigadores publican en revistas menos prestigiosas, surgen nuevas medidas de calidad" and posted on the blog Universo Abierto.]
- Hammerich, Jenna. "Healing the Academy: HuMetricsHSS Trains Scholars, Administration in Values-Based Metrics." Obermann Center for Advanced Studies, May 27, 2020.
- Kaplan, Isaac. "The Way We Judge Humanities Professors Is Broken — This Initiative Could Fix It." Artsy, July 2017.
- Ruttenberg, Judy. "HuMetricsHSS Develops Values-Based Scholarly Measures." Association of Research Libraries, August 15, 2019.
- Scutari, Isaac. "Can Humanities Grants to Universities Be a Bridge to Something Bigger?" Inside Philanthropy, July 30, 2017.
- Alperin, Juan P., Carol Muñoz Nieves, Lesley A. Schimanski, Gustavo E. Fischman, Meredith T. Niles, and Erin C. McKiernan. "Meta Research: How Significant Are the Public Dimensions of Faculty Work in Review, Promotion, and Tenure Documents?" eLife 8 (2019): e42254. [First appeared as a preprint on Humanities Commons.]
- Aspesi, Claudio, and Amy Brand. "In Pursuit of Open Science, Open Access Is Not Enough." Science 368.6491 (2020): 574–577.
- Ayala Pérez, Teresa. "Algunas consideraciones sobre las humanidades desde la era digital [Some Considerations on Humanities in the Digital Age]." Universum (Talca), 34.1 (2019): 39–64.
- Casalini, Michele. "Die zentrale Rolle der Bibliotheken für den Fortschritt und die Demokratie [The Centrality of Libraries for Progress and Democracy]." Bibliothek Forschung und Praxis 44.1 (2020): 80–88.
- Cleaver, James. "Debate: We Need to Change the Culture of Reliance on Inappropriate Uses of Journal Metrics — A Publisher's Viewpoint." Public Money & Management [online ahead of print; May 27, 2020].
- Clement, Gail, Nicky Agate, Sam Searle, Danny Kingsley, and Micah Vandegrift. "JLSC Board Editorial 2018." Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication 6.1 (2018): eP2261.
- Duller, Matthias, Philipp Korom, Rafael Y. Schögler, and Christian Fleck. "Scholars as European Public Intellectuals?: Media Interventions in the 2014 European Parliament Election Campaign." European Societies 20.2 (2018): 322–353.
- Haak, Laurel L., Alice Meadows, and Josh Brown. "Using ORCID, DOI, and Other Open Identifiers in Research Evaluation." Frontiers in Research Metrics and Analytics 3 (2018): Article 28.
- Hanneke, Rosie, and Jeanne M Link. "The Complex Nature of Research Dissemination Practices among Public Health Faculty Researchers." Journal of the Medical Library Association 107.3 (2019): 341–351.
- Hatch, Anna. "To Fix Research Assessment, Swap Slogans for Definitions." Nature 576 (2019): 9.
- Hauschke, Christian. "Problematische Aspekte bibliometrie-basierter Forschungsevaluierung [Problematic Aspects of Bibliometrics-Based Research Evaluation]." Informationspraxis 5.1 (2019): 49609.
- Konkiel, Stacy. "Approaches to Creating 'Humane' Research Evaluation Metrics for the Humanities." Insights 31 (2018): Article 44.
- Lamberti , Adrienne P. "Navigating a Tangled Intersection: Agricultural Communication as Public Meeting Space among the Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Digital." Open Library of Humanities 5.1 (2019): Article 11.
- McKiernan, Erin C., Lesley A. Schimanski, Carol Muñoz Nieves, Lisa Matthias, Meredith T. Niles, and Juan P. Alperin. "Use of the Journal Impact Factor in Academic Review, Promotion, and Tenure Evaluations." eLife 8 (2019): e47338. [First appeared as a preprint on PeerJ.]
- Mudditt, Alison. "Opening the Monograph: Lessons from Luminos." Journal of Scholarly Publishing 49.1 (2017): 41–52.
- Niles, Meredith T, Lesley A. Schimanski, Erin C. McKiernan, and Juan P. Alperin. "Why We Publish Where We Do: Faculty Publishing Values and Their Relationship to Review, Promotion and Tenure Expectations." PLOS ONE 15.3 (2020): e0228914. [First appeared as a preprint on BioRxiv.]
- Staines, H. R. "Digital Open Annotation with Hypothes.is: Supplying the Missing Capability of the Web." Journal of Scholarly Publishing 49.3 (2018): 345–365.
- Tang, Lydia. "Against Smallness: How Successful Language Programs Reimagine the Humanities." Profession (Fall 2019).
- Watkinson, Charles. "The Academic eBook Ecosystem Reinvigorated: A Perspective from the USA." Learned Publishing 31.S1 (2018): 280–287.
- "HuMetricsHSS: iniciativa para repensar los indicadores de excelencia en Humanidades [HuMetricsHSS: Initiative to Rethink Indicators of Excellence in the Humanities]." Universo Abierto, February 20, 2019.
- "The Use of Metrics in Research Assessment: Share Your Views." Editor Resources [Taylor & Francis], January 6, 2020.
- Agate, Nicky. "Humane Metrics and the Value of Values." Terrains Vagues, March 8, 2018.
- Bessette, Lee. "Weekend Reading: Valuing the Syllabus Edition." Profhacker [The Chronicle of Higher Education], March 9, 2018.
- Cilaon, Cara; Fritsche, Sonja; Hart-Davidson, Bill; Long, Christopher P. "Staying with the Trouble: Designing a values-enacted academy." LSE Impact Blog. April 23, 2020.
- Fritzsche, Sonja. "Cultivating and Evaluating Administrative Intellectual Leadership." Mini Blog on Leadership, November 16, 2019.
- Graves Wolf, Leigh. "#OER19 — Session Recap & Invitation to Collaborate." Leigh Graves Wolf, April 11, 2019.
- Graves Wolf, Leigh. "Reflection: #hssvalues Valuing the Syllabus as Scholarship." Leigh Graves Wolf, March 5, 2018.
- Harris, Katherine D. "Moving Up the Professional Ladder — Promotion Narrative for Full Professor." triproftri, January 12, 2018.
- Harris, Katherine D. "What Is (the Value of) Digital Humanities (Again, Again, Again, Again … Sigh)." triproftri, November 1, 2017.
- Johnson, Annie. "All about Impact Factors." Scholarly Communication @ Temple, June 29, 2018.
- Kember, Sarah. "Distributed Open Collaborative Scholarship." Commonplace, March 15, 2020. [Reference to HuMetricsHSS is a comment by Heather Staines.]
- Lanier, Amanda. "Paths to Intellectual Leadership." December 9, 2019.
- Lutgens, Gaby, and Micah Vandegrift. "Open Science and OER: Closing the Loop." OER & Beyond, April 11, 2019.
- Long, Christopher P. "Catalyst of Collaboration." Medium, October 13, 2019.
- Long, Christopher P. "Humanities Commons and the Cultivation of Sustainable Communities." Long View [Michigan State College of Arts and Letters], December 4, 2017.
- Long, Christopher P. "Living Values." Long View [Michigan State College of Arts and Letters], December 3, 2018.
- Long, Christopher P. "Reshaping the Tenure and Promotion Process So That It Becomes a Catalyst for Innovative and Invigorating Scholarship." LSE Impact of Social Sciences, November 1, 2017.
- Long, Christopher P. "Working through the Administrator and Faculty Toolkit to Recognize and Understand Effective Teaching and Learning." The Long Road, August 24, 2018.
- Mattern, Shannon. "Making Knowledge Available: The Media of Generous Scholarship." Public Seminar, March 22, 2018.
- Rogers, Katina. "Graduate Education for the Public Good: Event Recap and Reflection." HASTAC, May 11, 2020.
- Ruttenberg, Judy. "Demonstrating Impact in the Social Sciences — and Thinking Like a Social Scientist." ARL Policy Notes, May 31, 2019.
- Trott, Adriel. "HuMetricsHSS: Can (Should) We Develop Humane Metrics for the Humanities?" The Trott Line, October 8, 2017.
- Vega, Paula Clemente. "Open Insights: An Interview with James Smith." Open Library of the Humanities, October 15, 2018. [Reposted by Foster Open Science.]
- Wulf, Karin. "Metrics: Human-Made, but Humane?" The Scholarly Kitchen, November 2, 2017.
Conference Presentations, Webinars, and Talks
- Brandtner, Andreas, and Stefan Wiederkehr. "Tagungsbericht: Nachhaltigkeit durch Kooperation im Zeitalter von Open Science [Conference Report: Sustainability through Cooperation in the Age of Open Science]." ABI Technik 37.3–4 (2017): 280–284. [Report on the 46th LIBER Conference, July 5–7, 2017.]
- Brennan, Niamh. "Research Analytics Tools — An Overview." Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL) General Assembly, November 8, 2018.
- Gray, Andrew. "Measuring the Impact of Open Science." University College London Open Science Day, May 23, 2019.
- Hatherill, Jeanette. "Questioning Bibliometrics and Research Impact." Bibliometrics and Research Impact Conference, May 15, 2018.
- Kear, Robin. "A Brief View of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions World Library & Information Congress (IFLA WLIC 2017) in Wrocław, Poland." International Information & Library Review 49.4 (2017): 316–320.
- Konkiel, Stacy. "Can Metrics Be Made Humane?" Disquantified: Higher Education in the Age of Metrics Conference, 16 May 2019.
- Madsen, Christine, and Megan Hurst. "Contextualizing Library Assessment within a Broader Ecosystem: Proposed Models for Linking the Strategic to the Micro." 12th International Conference on Performance Measurement in Libraries, July 31, 2017.
- Owens, Erin. "Beyond Citation-Counting: Metrics and Altmetrics for Demonstrating Scholarly Impact." Association of College and Research Libraries University Libraries Section Webinar, March 19, 2019.
- Peters, Isabella. "Measuring Openness: Why Measure Openness and How Do We Do It?" LIS Bibliometrics Forum: Open Metrics and Measuring Openness, January 29, 2019.
- Thornton Dill, Bonnie. "2019 State of the College Address." University of Maryland College of Arts and Humanities Annual Convocation, September 26, 2019.
- Watkinson, Charles. "Academy/ic-Led Publishing: Some Thoughts from North America." Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) Webinar, Academic Publishing Day, February 7, 2019.
- Welzenbach, Rebecca. "Compliance and Defiance: Michigan Publishing's Early Encounters with Research Impact Metrics." Bibliometrics and Research Impact Community (BRIC) Conference, May 15, 2019.
- Wu, Yang, Jenessa McElfresh, John Morgenstern, and Ed Rock. "Essentials of Scholarly Publishing." Clemson University Libraries, June 6, 2019.
Books and Book Chapters
- Fitzpatrick, Kathleen. Generous Thinking: A Radical Approach to Saving the University. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2019.
- Glass, Erin, and Micah Vandegrift. "Public Scholarship in Practice and Philosophy." [Preprint. No information about publication venue.]
- Marcovitch, Jacques. Repensar a Universidade II: Impactos para a Sociedade [Rethinking the University II: Impacts for Society]. Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo, 2019.
- Welzenbach, Rebecca, and Charles Watkinson. "Compliance and Defiance: Michigan Publishing's Early Encounters with Research Impact Metrics," in The New Metrics: Practical Assessment of Research Impact, edited by Elaine M. Lasda, 93–113. Emerald Publishing, 2019.
Doctoral Dissertations and Master's Theses
- Ferrier-Watson, Anne. Traditional Metrics, Altmetrics and Researcher Profiles: A Survey of Faculty Perceptions and Use. MLIS thesis, Victoria University, Wellington, 2019.
- Macedo, Denise Silva. Mercantilização do discurso público: Universidades brasileiras [Mercantilization of Public Discourse: Brazilian Universities]. Ph.D. dissertation, Universidade de Brasília, Brasília, 2018.
White Papers and Reports
- Altman, Micah, and Chris Bourg. A Grand Challenges–Based Research Agenda for Scholarly Communication and Information Science: Final Report from the MIT Grand Challenges Summit. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, December 17, 2018.
- Association of College and Research Libraries. Open and Equitable Scholarly Communications: Creating a More Inclusive Future. Prepared by Nancy Maron and Rebecca Kennison with Paul Bracke, Nathan Hall, Isaac Gilman, Kara Malenfant, Charlotte Roh, and Yasmeen Shorish. Association of College and Research Libraries, June 11, 2019.
- Eve, Martin Paul. Open Metrics for Monographs: Background Contexts and Literature Review. JISC Open Metrics Lab, June 11, 2019.
- Eve, Martin Paul. Open Metrics for Monographs Experiment: Final Report. JISC Open Metrics Lab, June 11, 2019.
- Fitzpatrick, Kathleen, and Rebecca Kennison. Altmetrics in Humanities and Social Sciences. October 30, 2017.
- Michigan State University College of Arts and Letters. The 2018 Fall Planning Letter. September 2018.
- Michigan State University College of Arts and Letters. The 2019 Fall Planning Letter. September 2019.
- SAGE Publishing. The Latest Thinking about Metrics for Research Impact in the Social Sciences. May 23, 2019.
- The Liberal Arts Endeavor Podcast (Michigan State University College of Arts and Letters), Season 2, Episode 9: HuMetricsHSS (Humane Metrics Initiative)
Library Guides and Other Resources
- Arizona State University, "Citation Research and Impact Metrics"
- Columbia University, "Measuring Impact"
- Graduate Institute of Geneva, "Impact Metrics: Controversies"
- Johns Hopkins University, "Metrics"
- University of Nevada – Las Vegas, "Tracking Scholarship in the Humanities"
- University of Waikato, "Responsible Metric Use"