ABOUT THE HUMETRICSHSS INITIATIVE
HuMetricsHSS is an initiative for rethinking humane indicators of excellence in academia, focused particularly on the humanities and social sciences (HSS). Comprised of individuals and organizations from the academic, commercial, and nonprofit sectors, HuMetricsHSS endeavors to create and support a values-based framework for understanding and evaluating all aspects of the scholarly life well-lived and for promoting the nurturing of these values in scholarly practice.
OUR CODE OF CONDUCT
We’re striving to cultivate an academy that’s inclusive, open, collaborative, collegial, and generous. A scholarly life well-lived does not allow harassment in any form. This code of conduct governs the environment of our meetings, workshops, interactions, and communications, and exists to remind us of our values as we interact with others.
We are committed to providing a welcoming and safe environment for people of all races and ethnic backgrounds, gender identities and expressions, sexual orientations, physical abilities, physical appearances, socioeconomic backgrounds, nationalities, ages, religions, and beliefs and a place where everyone feels free to speak, be included in conversations, and be heard. We strive to provide an environment that’s free from all forms of harassment, including microaggressions. Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Verbal comments and nonverbal expressions that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, employment status, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, marital status, political affiliation, or physical or cognitive ability
- Bullying behaviors
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Unwanted audio or visual recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
We look to provide an inclusive environment, but inclusivity doesn’t happen without the support of the entire community. In person or online, you can help foster that environment by:
- Listening as much as you speak
- Avoiding interrupting others who are speaking
- Yielding the floor to those whose viewpoints may be underrepresented
- Welcoming the expertise of others, realizing that you may be unaware of it
- Accepting critique graciously and offering it constructively
- Giving credit where it is due
- Using welcoming language, for instance by honoring pronoun preferences and favoring gender-neutral collective nouns
- Avoiding sexual or discriminatory language and imagery at all times.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in behavior that contravenes this code of conduct, we retain the right to take any actions to keep the event and associated online interactions a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or asking them to leave the event.
WHAT TO DO
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it to a HuMetricsHSS team member as soon as possible. We will not tolerate any violation or circumvention of this code of conduct. On site, we can be identified by our name badges. We will assist you by contacting venue security or local law enforcement, providing escorts, or otherwise helping you to feel safe.
To report incidents after an in-person event or on-site but in the absence of a team member, please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. All reports and inquiries will be handled in confidence.
If you or others are in imminent danger, please first phone emergency services at 911.
We value your participation in the HuMetricsHSS initiative and thank you for your attention to the physical and mental safety and well-being of fellow participants.